We’ve all heard that adage, “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.” So if a customized URL for your LinkedIn public profile functions exactly the same way as the default URL, why change it?
Here are a few reasons why you should customize your profile URL:
- Customizing your public profile URL makes you easier to find. It’s a quick, easy way to differentiate you from all of the other LinkedIn users out there. This is particularly important for those with common names.
- Doing so boosts your credibility. If you’ve customized your public profile URL, the person searching for you can start making some positive assumptions about you:
- You’re detail-oriented.
- You’re technologically savvy.
- You are a person to be taken seriously.
- You appreciate the power of perception.
- You understand that the little things matter.
- You make an effort to present your best self.
- It has a cleaner look that you can easily include on your resume, your email signature, or your business cards.
Yes, this is a very small detail, especially in the grand scheme of things. But think about it: when you’re purchasing a home you notice a lot of small details like the water pressure and whether the baseboards are clean. These details collectively tell a story about the house as an investment. Why would a company do any differently when investing in employees?
Now that you’re convinced it’s time to get started, visit LinkedIn and follow these steps to customize your profile URL today.