The mission of the Semper Fit Health Promotion and Physical Fitness program is to educate and encourage beneficiaries (active duty, reservists, family members, retirees, and civilian employees) to improve their health and well-being through the voluntary adoption of a healthy lifestyle.
To accomplish this mission, we offer training, education, resources, and referrals on the following seven pillars of our program:
- Nutrition and Weight Management
- Chronic Disease Prevention
- Tobacco Use Prevention and Cessation
- Sexual Health
- Stress Management
- Physical Fitness
- Injury Prevention
Class and Event Support
Do you want to include health education on any of these topics for a class or at an event? Health Promotion will come to you and offer a variety of classes, displays and/or activities appropriate for your audience.
Nutrition, Dietary Supplements and Weight Management - The nutrition program within Semper Fit Health Promotion offers a variety of classes and nutritional information and support to keep you healthy. Our Registered Dietitian provides:
Individual Nutrition Counseling
- The Semper Fit Dietitian helps individuals reach their health goals. Each client receives a diet assessment plus expert advice and tips on how to make successful, lifestyle changes. Counseling sessions are by appointment only. Free for Active Duty; $25 for Family Members, Reservists, and Retirees; $40 for DoD Civilians; $50 for Contractors. (Family members must be 12+ years of age).
Monthly Nutrition Class
This free, one hour course is offered the 1st Wednesday of every month at 11:30 am - 12:30 pm at the link below via Adobe Connect:
- Join the meeting!
- Cooking classes are offered 3-4 times per year. Participants learn how to cook delicious and nutritious meals and then enjoy the healthful foods they cooked. Each class has a different theme based on the season or chosen health topic.
Healthy Grocery Store Tour
- Tours are offered by appointment for a group of three or more at the Quantico Commissary. Go through the aisles with the Semper Fit Dietitian and discuss healthy food options in the grocery store. Discuss how to compile a healthy grocery list and learn to read food labels correctly.
- Health Promotion will come to you! Nutrition and health briefs are available to all units and civilian offices aboard Quantico. Brief topics can include but are not limited to: Nutrition Basics, Weight Management (BCP), Sports Nutrition and Injuries, Dietary Supplement Awareness, and Healthy Eating on-the-go.
Free Health Screenings (Walk-in or appointment)
- Blood Pressure
- Body Composition
- Bone Density (by appointment)
- Semper Fit Health Promotion has a standardized, evidenced-based tobacco cessation program called Operation Tobacco Free Marine (OTFM) which is free and open to all ID holders. The program is designed to help Marines and their families quit tobacco. OTFM incorporates the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s Best Practices for Comprehensive Tobacco Control and evidence-based recommendations from the Clinical Practice Guidelines for the Treatment of Tobacco Use and Dependence published by the U.S. Public Health Service. Topics covered in the curriculum include the health consequences of tobacco, barriers to quitting, familiarization with nicotine replacement therapy and other medications, creating a quit plan and accessing support resources. The program launched in 2017 and we offer 1:1 counseling sessions by appointment.
- Our staff utilizes resources by the Navy and Marine Corps Public Health Center’s Sexual Health and Responsibility Program (SHARP). We offer classes and resource table activities.
Physical Activity and Injury Prevention
- We partner with our Semper Fit Physical Fitness department to tailor classes to meet your audience’s needs.